The Institute of Prehistory and Near Eastern Archaeology, University of Heidelberg is offering a position for a research assistantship (E13 TV-L part time position, 50%, temporary contract for 3 years)
The Institute invites applications for a research assistant in Prehistoric Archaeology/Bioarchaeology as part of a highly interdisciplinary research project (Food Cultures, funded by the German Research Foundation, DFG) which investigates the relationship between palaeodiet, food technology and the spread of agriculture in Southeastern Europe.
This position is specifically intended to contribute information on the use of animal products at Early Neolithic sites in Southeastern Europe.The postholder will conduct analysis of organic residues from neolithic ceramic vessels and interpretation of the results. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Heidelberg.
Qualifications and skills
- a good first degree in Archaeology or related discipline
- a Master’s degree (at Merit level or International equivalent) in a relevant field of archaeological enquiry (Prehistoric Archaeology, Bioarchaeology, Molecular Archaeology, Archaeological Sciences)
- demonstrable knowledge of organic geochemistry or organic/analytical chemistry
- strong interest and/or experience in organic residue analysis of prehistoric pottery
- good communication skills and proficiency in written and spoken English
- familiarity with the Neolithic period in Europe
They should include
- a full CV,
- a covering letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the topic and prior practical experience,
- transcripts of relevant studies, and
- two reference letters
Interested applicants are welcome to contact Mariya Ivanova for informal enquiries. The closing date for applications is 14 November 2013.