As decided during the last General Meeting of the AIECM at Silves in 2012, the French national committee in collaboration with the Archaeology Department of the Languedoc-Roussillon Region, the Ministry of Culture in Montpellier, the urban community of Montpellier and the LA3M are organizing their first Topical Congress.
It will take place over three days, from November 19 to 21, 2014 at the Museum at Lattes (Montpellier).
The topic which has been chosen is jars, large containers, large garden and industrial vases, made between the Middle Ages and the Modern Era over the whole Mediterranean area, the Middle East, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
All containers used for storage, preservation, preparation and packing, either in a fixed place or used for transport (with the exception of amphorae) will be accepted.
The papers can be about typology, production techniques and or about the functional purpose of the objects through written sources, archaeology and ethnology. In other words containers for :
- liquid (oil, wine, vinegar, water…)
- foodstuff (cereals, grain, dried fruit, salted food, brine, candied fruits, meat, fat and honey
- dried products, made by craftsmen or industrially produced, (jars for distilling oxide, tartar and other products used by apothecaries
- specific domestic use, for hygiene and prophylactic uses, laundry tubs, baths, foot and hip baths, jars used for washing
- decorative use or/and for the garden
- for re-use (architectural re-use)
Contact Jacques Thiriot